The pool driver position is a part-time, on-call driver position that can be ready to drive locally or nationally promptly after job is assigned.
As a part-time pool driver, the expectation is to safely and responsibly distribute products for our customers in a manner promptly to the deadlines assigned. An understanding of TSA paperwork, bills of lading, invoices and Leadfoot Express logistical software are important in becoming successful in this role. Training will be provided in those areas. This role will have daily face-to-face interactions with our customers so being able to communicate while being courteous and professional is a requirement.
Constant communication with the dispatch team and the ability to show humility and take constructive feedback is necessary in the role as well as a strong attention to detail. Complete paperwork, extensive notes and prompt delivery check-in/out is integral to the success of the business. We believe in fostering a teaching environment so assist other drivers when needed.
Our company’s success is hinged on picking up and making our deliveries in the allotted time, expectations are to deliver products promptly and safely to customer’s location. Working with dispatch on the delivery process, inefficiencies, customer issues and vehicle maintenance will ensure we meet the company goals and exceed customer expectations.
Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities
- With minimal guidance from supervision, ship and receive customer orders, input notes and check-in/out of the electronic dispatch system.
With minimal guidance from supervision, coordinate pickup and delivery operations with dispatch while considering pickup and delivery times, routes, overtime and capacity requirements.
- Follow all DOT, TSA & HAZMAT safety regulations where applicable. Report to management any safety issues or concerns.
- Provide positive and timely constructive performance feedback to dispatch.Communicate with dispatcher and supervision constantly, show humility and be able to take feedback.
- Maintain and promote a clean and safe work environment and vehicle.Live and teach the values of safety.
- Work with dispatch on solutions for inefficiencies of deliveries and routes.
- Check-in/out driver kits, complete all pre/post trip inspection paperwork before and at the end of the shift.
- Wipe vehicle interior and fill with gas before the end of the shift if needed.
- Come to work with a positive attitude, ready to teach, promote and live the company values.
- Update dispatch on routes or issues while driving.
- Have a flexible schedule for on call driving needs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of logistical mobile software.
- Comfort in using mobile devices (cell phone/tablet)
- Some knowledge of HAZMAT regulations.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to apply basic mathematical skills when measuring, weighing, etc.
- Ability to operate a forklift for loading and unloading.
- Driven work ethic that is able to multi-task at a high pace and work with minimal supervision.
- Valid driver’s license in regards to the vehicle type being driven.
- Understanding of GPS software and ability to read a map.
- Work may include exposure to drafts, noise, dust, strong odors, the operation of mechanical equipment (e.g. forklifts and motor vehicles); extended periods of standing, walking and bending; and lifting light to very heavy objects and equipment. Will also be exposed to the elements, traffic and adverse driving conditions.
- Tools used in this occupation: Full range of power and hand tools, banding machine.
- Technology used in this occupation: Advanced mobile application, cell phone, GPS software applications.
- Required to drive a company vehicle and process deliveries. Must possess a valid driver’s license for the type of vehicle used.
- Experience: Preferred 2 or more years in the transportation industry.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Special certifications: Must be able to acquire and maintain a forklift certification. Must be able to acquire TSA certification as needed.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to handle; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl. The employee must also occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds or more. May sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to pass a drug test, criminal background check, physical and driving record for insurance purposes.